The Minoterie SUIRE’s history is first of all a family story: those of the Girardeau, millers from father to son since four generations.
It started in 1895 when Eugène Girardeau bought the first half of the Feuillou Mill, in Boussay, Loire-Atlantique, followed by the second half in 1903. Since then, his children, grand-children and great grand-children succeed one another to develop and maintain the family activities.
Today, the company constitutes five mills in the West of France, as well as a training center, complementary operational structures on the market of traditional and specialized flours:
- Minoterie Girardeau – Located in Boussay in the department of Loire-Atlantique (44), in the Fromenteau Mill, one of the most modern in Europe.
- Minoterie du Chateau located in Ernée, in the department of Mayenne (53)
- Minoterie du Bocage located in Binic in Cotes-d’Armor (22)
- Minoterie Corouge located in Réguiny in Morbihan (56) specialized in buckwheat flour.
- Minoterie Suire, acquired in 1987, producing organic flours since 1979, was renovated and transformed in a gorgeous mill equipped with traditional mill stones is dedicated to high end organic flours. Initially located in Montaigu, in the department of Vendée (85), the Suire Mill was moved in 2004 to Boussay, in the Feuillou Mill, historical production site and emblem of the Girardeau’s family.
Even if the production has modernized and industrialized, our focus is, and will always remain quality and research. Every single mill has its own specialty, identity, autonomy and operations. They are however, federated under the name of “les Moulins associés” (Associated Mills) with the goal to pool our resources and expertise in areas including procurement, research and development and training. The five mills and the training center, are led by Bertrand Girardeau, Eugène’s great grand-son.